Sunday, August 17, 2008

Homeward Bound

How do I go home? Who will I be when I get there? Talking about my year in Korea will bore people after ten minutes and I don't want to talk about it too much anyhow. All the memories I've made here will be just that, memories and all the people I call my friends will be scattered around the world. The few words I've learned, the subway map, how to catch the 2112 bus downtown, the polite gestures, the conversations about work--they'll all be meaningless at home. Can you ever really go home? What was this year but a strange dream? In a week I'll be home in Seattle eating scrambled eggs and I just hope I'm not strange to the people there.

1 comment:

noe said...

hi matt! watch out for reverse culture shock, it' a doozie! thanks for the comment, it's funny the way we develop connections with people we've never met through the internet, but kind of cool. i'll try to be a better blogger (pres elections actually remind me of my 6 posts a day period of blogging life). peace :)