Monday, June 06, 2005

Glass Slipper

Went and saw, The Cinderella Man, last night with my family at the new Mega-Plex theater at the Alderwood Mall. Didn't even recognize Lynwood, someone went and turned it into an amusement park of eateries and retail shops. It looked like Las Vegas--or Tomorrow Land, except with less fake rocket ships and more storefront windows and tropical islands, measuring three square feet, rising out of the red brick and asphalt sea. Cities are looking more like Disneyland everyday.

The movie: It was amazingly good. A little too good. During the fight scenes, my heart was beating out of my chest, my muscles were clinched, I was possessed, so was everyone else. People were clapping, twitching, crying. How emotional. "No." I thought, and then green computer code streamed over my reality. "Get up Trinity, get up". I couldn't get up though. I was hypnotized--dodging punches, throwing punches. I looked to my right where my dad's eyes were wide and his legs were jabbing at the floor. I looked to my left and my brother was bobbing and weaving. The crowd breathed heavily as one--still and then sudden panting, heaving--hysteria. "That was either the best movie I have ever seen or we have just been brain washed," I told my family as we left the theater. They rolled their eyes, sick of my conspiracy theories. But people were acting weird as we shuffled out of the giant theater. A woman walked into the men’s bathroom in a fit of mania. People were laughing and tripping and rubbing their eyes. It took a minute for us to get our bearings, and then all make the same comment, "what a good movie." I was expecting daylight outside, forgetting how late it was. Night greeted us when we pushed out the doors. Well, by night I mean that dark muted orange fuzz that hangs in the air--a Las Vegas night. At midnight, my mom drove the car north on I-5, my brother, dad, and I were asleep in the back seat of our pumpkin-mobile.

No comments: