Monday, September 06, 2004

A Voice in my Head

I am reading a book about the life and philosophy of St. Francis. This guy was wealthy, living the high life and he gave it all up to be closer to God. He sold all his stuff and lived simply, loving people and animals.

On my walk to work today i was thinking about how i could come to know God. I started fantasing about selling all my stuff at a garage sale and moving up to the hills with a my pack, a bible and maybe a pipe. i was really getting into how great life was going to be, if only it were more simple--if only i was a homeless pipe smoker, then i would be close to god. I long to live out in the country with high grass around me and tall trees to lay under. but then something hit me. it could have been the voice of god, but more likely it was just the voice in my head. it basically said: "all that time you have wasted thinking about your hut in the woods is time lost for the one thing your supposed to be seeking, God."

and there it is. if god wants me in a hut living with wild animals, then that is where he will put me.

No comments: