Saturday, November 20, 2004

Fountains

Where are all the public water fountains? Last night i went on a very long walk. I had some errends to run, dinner to eat, thinking to do. At one point, I became very thirsty. I was miles from home and drying up. I kept imagining that I was a wanderer in the middle of the Saharah. The song "People are strange" by the doors was going through my head. I searched every street corner for a water fountain. I passed the church--no water. The school--no water. Near the courthouse there was the refreshing glow of a Pepsi machine. I became horrified and anxious. It seems unreal that a walker would have to spend a buck fifty on chemically enhanced sugar water, while not having the option to drink freely from a public fountain. I had no money so i staggered on, to the place were we all end up, in the end. The ATM machine.


2 comments:

noe said...

that's so sad... knowing this world we live in they prolly all got destroyed so they couldn't be poisoned or something silly like that, cause the world will be destroyed through drinking fountains...

or come to chicago, we have public fountains here (we're immune to the poison)

rebekah said...

!!! thanks for the comment but dont read my blog. it's a shallow exercise in ennui. not intelligent like yours...