Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Job Interview

"Ok this is going to be fun, I want you to think about this senario: you are out in the middle of the desert. Nobody else is around and you are going to starve. In front of you is a great chasm, one thousand miles deep, one thousand miles wide, and one thousand miles across. On the other side of this divide is an oasis full of food and water. If you can cross the chasm you will live, if not you will surely die. The only resourse you have to traverse this obsticle are 4 planks of wood and an infinite length of rope. How would you use these items to cross this ditch and save your life?"

"uhhhhhh......."

"Ok ok, Matt, let's put that question aside for the moment, continue to think about it and feel free to cut in and share your solution at any time, but let's continue the interview. Tell me about your personal strengths, and also tell me about some areas of your personality that you feel could be strengthened and what steps you are taking to better yourself."

"uhhhhhhhh......"

"right, ok these are standard Hollywood Video questions. Let me move on but that question is important so we will definitly come back to it. Tell me about a time when you felt proud of your leadership ability, when you led a group of people to a successfull outcome.

"uhhhhhhh...."

"Matt, don't worry about it. Ok, um let me see. Let's do some role playing. I am a guest and you are a service representative trying to sell me a promotional package...GO."

"uhhhhhh...."

"Fine, Fine... tell me your favorite three movies."

"uhhhhh...."

"Wow, um, ok so, without looking , can you tell me what color the wall behind you is."

"uhhhhh.... purple."

"No no, it is not purple, but good gues good guess. Ok, good, well do you have any questions that you want to throw my way?"

"uhhhhh..."

"Matt I will call you tonight to let you know either way, there is a second panal interview tomorrow afternoon. Three of our area supervisors will be administering the interview. So I will give you a call."

"Ok thank you."

"And Matt the chasm... fill it with your infinite length of rope and walk across it."

"uhhhhhhh...."

***

There is a distopia novel here somewhere.




2 comments:

noe said...

hahaha.... standard, very standard... great responses ;)

i'm boycotting the chicago hollywood video, they are not nice....

rebekah said...

ha. i had an interview sort of like that today.
i was just thinking about trying to forget about it.
thanks for reminding me...

so are all hollywood video store walls everywhere purple? that's funny. i thought it was just here where i live theyd choose that tacky color...

i need to get out more.