Thursday, March 17, 2005

Life Quest

I bought Ever Quest II yesterday. I heard one can get lost in fantasy while playing that game. Why is it illegal to escape reality with hallucinogenic drugs, but perfectly legal to pretend to be a wood elf while staring into a glowing cube of pixelated neon light all day. Oh the marvels the human species could accomplish, if only we were more productive.

I was disappointed when I brought the game home. How many times are we disappointed by situations in life while completely ignorant of the bigger picture. The forces of the Universe kept me out Norrath for reasons unknown. Maybe I have better things to do here on EARTH. Turns out the game is just so damn huge that my computer won't support it.

Went out for a drink at the Night Life last night. That place is really quite nice. I hear it doesn't get much bussiness. I need to go there more often. The place was empty. Bad for their bussiness but good for me. I hate loud crowded bars. Student's artwork hangs on the walls. Andy, my brother, who really is a great artist, and I made a comment about the painting towering over the pool tables. Typical Western Washington University student art work. Just blocks of color naively placed on a piece of gessoed paper, (canvass would be to patriarchal maybe!) with key scratches in it for texture. Literally a second after Andy criticized it, the artist and her professor walked in the room and stood near our pool table stroking their chins and tilting their heads. The professor gave no critisim she only encouraged more of the same. Where is the challenge! Students need to be challenged. That is the difference between my commercial design professors and the high-art sculpting and painting professors. I like critisim. I remember my design teacher defacing student drawings with pens during our critiques. All those hours lost, but a lesson learned. So, the night life rocked. The student art work--it has potential.

1 comment:

Ms. Johnson said...

I love places like that...even if the artwork is questionable. Gives me hope and inspires me to create something better! You, my friend, are an incredible artist yourself :)