Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Whoa, Dude.

It is frustrating sometimes, a lot of the times, having a human brain. Oh yes, as far as humans are concerned, our brains are the most powerful and mysterious thing in the entire universe, but there in lies my frustration. I can conceive of a better, more powerful brain; of something more mysterious than my own mind, of a beauty that dwarves my greatest imaginings. I can almost touch it. I can sense it floating a few nanometers above the crinkles of my cerebral cortex.

It is morning and I’ve decided to skip class--again. I went through a passage in Hebrews this morning with pastor Dave concerning a high priest named Melchizedek. When that was done, I made some coffee and read about robots. Now it’s 8AM.

Melchizedek. Robots.

Andy was telling me about these guys on the radio the other night that had a theory about oil. They said we’ve been looking at the stuff all wrong this whole time. It isn’t that oil is dead stuff liquefied, but well, actually, it’s a mystery. We don‘t really understand what oil is precisely, just theoretically. According to the numbers scribbled on their notepads, oil is like water, it’s just here, and the earth is filled with the stuff. What is water really? Whoa. Dude. That’s kinda strange, nobody ever told me that the definition of oil was still up for grabs.

And in this class I’m skipping this morning, it is a writing class, the topic being death and love/sex, we’re discussing sex, in a circle, looking at each other. I’m stuck. I know about as much about sex as I know about oil. I know we all use it, and it is pleasurable and all that jazz but what is it really? If I can’t even wrap my head around water how can I add any insight to a group discussion about something as curious as sex? I’m listening. The conversation yesterday got bogged down by talk of lingerie and blow jobs and liberation and revolution--leaded and unleaded. Yes but WHAT is it? Something big seemed to be missing from the conversation, and it was hanging in the room, in the eleventh dimension.

It is that something that I’m really after, the source of all knowledge. Melchizedek and robots. God and technology. God.

3 comments:

noe said...

hello soulmate. is the definition for oil really up for grabs? you know, i was thinking about how we are made (and these thoughts only became more distrubing when watching batman begins and wondering why th big microwave weapon doesn't make people implode since we are mostly made of water) the other day... and life... and death... and mystery and god, and i dunno... sometimes the life point seems pointless because of all the ways in which we are all wasting it. i don't really know what i'm talking about or why i'm commenting, but your post just made me start to think... sometimes it feels like hell has been created here on earth (like in cs lewis' great divorce... our world doesn't really seem that different)... we are all so busy being independant, and wealthy, and selfish, and glutonous, and ugh.... i'm sorry matt, i don't know where i'm going with this, you just made me want to talk.

Matt said...

hello my friend. As far as i can tell, the definition for everything is still up for grabs--most importantly the definition of a successful life. I'd love to sit down and have a cup of joe with you noel. Are you a white sox fan by the way?

noe said...

i don't really do the whole sports thing, but i'm happy that the people i work with and the people i serve coffee to are happy. one day i am quite sure we might share a table with a pot of coffee and talk the day away. (now that's a good way to plan ahead ;) )