Sunday, October 02, 2005

Windows 2007

I doubt this idea is original and that's why I don't hesitated to share it hear on blogger. My avatar, Wu Li the Lotus Blossom, was walking around the wooded paths and flowery glens of Jade Empire, getting in kung fu fights and manipulating chi magic, and I was sitting in my chair here in regular old Bellingham, Washington, United States, North America, Earth, Sol's systems, Milkyway Galaxy, Corner of the Universe, and I was teary eyed not only from the hours I'd spent staring at neon vacuum tubes but also because of the reverence this beautiful computer generated fantasy world was creating in my heart. I turned off the game and took a shot of Saki and ate a bit of fish and rice with chop sticks and then headed down to my secret basement lab and grabbed a huge piece of thick chalk. My hands were receiving signals from my unconscious mind or from Alpha Centari and I began furiously scribbling on the blackboard. When I came to, I was aware that I was lounging in a tiny desk chair with grains of rice crusted in the corners of my mouth and polka dots of tear splashes on my chalk covered jeans. Before me on the board were the plans for windows 2007. A three dimensional world like Jade Empire that one could navigate not with a mouse but with a video game controller. I discovered that instead of moving a mouse arrow over a two dimensional field like pong, my design allowed one to store and retrieve information in a three dimensional virtual space. One could bury secret files in a treasure chest on a distant island or conveniently, on their virtual desktop. And everyone's computer would be hooked together to create one huge universe. I cried at the beauty of it and then went up stairs and have made myself a cheese sandwich and now I am typing.

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jessi said...

Aww Matt. Don't let the spambots get you down. It's a beautiful idea, truly. :-)

Matt said...

Thanks Jessi. One day robots will look so close to humans that we will take them as spouses, raise them as children; they will be our doctors and politicians. They will cry, blush, wink and laugh and yet the bastards will still be souless:) Advertising perfected. I can imagine it now. After making love to my robot wife she'll be all flush and teary eyed. "Matt, your an amazing man. Lets go away together. lets have children. Lets go for a drive in a BRAND NEW SPORTS CAR.

Matt said...

And lets have children. Golden haired children that we can take to the park. They can wear OLD NAVY SPORTING FLEECE! Oh darling, you know me so well. Nothing could make me happier except maybe if you got a PENNIS PUMP, 19.95!"

Jessi said...

Haha! Nice.