Friday, July 22, 2005

The Disadvantages of Being Poor

"Yes, Yes. Things are progressing nicely. I am happy with these X-rays. Well how does next week sound?"

"It sounds wonderful. I can't wait to get these pins taken out and start lifting wieghts again."

"Well let's not get ahead of ourselves, you won't be lifting for a few months. Let's schedule the procedure in for next week then. Good good."

"Now doctor, what does the procedure entail? How do you take them out I mean."

"Ok. Good. We'll be doing the procedure in the operating room over at the hospital. You will be mildly sedated. Oh wait, wait. It says here you don't have insurance. In that case your probably going to want to go cheap aren't you."

"Yes. As cheap as possible."

"Right. Good. Let's see, why don't I have you instead come here to my office and I will use the pliers. We'll try and get these out with out sedation, which I warn you, will be painfull. Are you ok with that?"

"Yeah, I'll have to be."

"Good. Good. Well I'll see you next week then. Take care."

"You too doctor."

5 comments:

Jessi said...

What a trooper you are!

Matt said...

I'd rather have the drugs, but at 200 dollars a drip, I'll be better off with a 5 dollar pint of whisky.

Matt said...

I just enjoy being Holden when I pick that book up. I first read that book in high school the land of phonies and so identified with Holden in that reguard, both of us being adolescent boys. when I read it today I want to hug Holden and catch him before he falls off the cliff.

It is kind of a modern city youth fable in the way the Alchemist was a meaningful story. A boy wanders around struggling and has to learn some important lessons along the way.

Mostly that we can't get along in life alone and that the people aren't really all that bad.

I guess I love the book so much becuase of how rich the human situations are. Ackly (or what ever his name is) the pimple face kid in the dorms--I've known boys like that. Or my favorite part, When Holden calls up a prositute and wants to just talk. The frieght in that passage is so real. his kid sister on the carasal.

I guess I like this book like I like, sometimes, to reminisce about my high school days.

Ms. Johnson said...

Ohhh, Matty...ouch!!! I would be in the same boat :( I'll be thinking about ya.

Matt said...

thanks Becky.