Monday, July 11, 2005

Harmonies

I came across this quote by Leos Janacek, a Czech composer: "Whenever someone spoke to me, I may not have grasped the words, but I grasped the rise and fall of the notes. At once I knew what the person was like: I knew how he or she felt, whether he or she was lying, whether he or she was upset. Sounds, the intonation of human speech, indeed of every living being, have had for me the deepest truth."

I'm sitting in my swivel office chair, in the corner of the kitchen, the grey clouds outside are getting darker as night approaches. The composer, John Williams, and I are having a truthful conversation, agreeing with each other completely. His words are built out of the London Symphony Orchestra, mine of the whistles from my wine stained lips.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I wonder what he would think of my lurch-esque voice speaking to him, in the beauty of monotone....