Thursday, July 21, 2005

Jazzed About Summer Reading

Ok, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas finally got boring and my arm is feeling much better (getting the pins taken out next week hopefully) which has allowed me to start reading again. I read the Alchemist and The Screw Tape Letters this week, both wonderful books, especially the Alchemist which made me want to travel in the desert.

The Library is a remarkable public service which I never use. I am addicted to buying books, not a good thing when your on welfare. I couldn't wait to wake up and visit Henderson's Bookstore which I've been waiting for all weekend. They didn't have the book I wanted but I ended up buying three completly unrelated ones. I just like the smell of that place, the smell of stale yellow paper. I am blessed to live in a city with amazing bookstores a walk away.

When I got home with my three new books I checked the mail and was totally jazzed to see that the book I ordered from Amazon came in. I have a suspicion that the same force pushing me to fill my shelves to overflowing with books is the same one that got me so excited about playing with and collecting GI Joes as a kid.

5 comments:

Matt said...

no to all three. But I will read Pike soon.

Jessi said...

The Screwtape Letters, heh, that was going to be the next book I recommended to you. You're a step ahead of me, I see. Very good read, I liked "Screwtape proposes a toast" best of all.

Movie recomendations then! See the Secret of Roan Inish and Photographing Fairies (only been able to find it on VHS). I think you'll like them both.

Matt said...

hmmm... i'll check those out. And yes the toast was quit alarming. I wonder how far we would get as a civilization if only it where as popular to think and excel as it is to wear designer clothes and get c's in high school. This is exactly why in an earlier post I conteplated starting my own civilazation in alaska:)

Jessi said...

I think civilization is progressing quite nicely, but then, I am speaking as an eternal optimist. Things will get better. You'll see!

Is Henderson's a used bookstore?

Matt said...

Hendersons and Micheals are wonderful used bookstores full of old, rare books, and new ones too. I'll show you sometime. I have noticed your optimism Jessi and it is contagious. Thanks.