Friday, August 05, 2005

I Want To Be Like Mike(al Landon)

Job search time. Being unemployed is like being the ring bearer. Great power comes with free time and yet it is so easy to submit to the eye of slothfulness. Two things I will comment on in this posting. First: Civilazation II: Test of Time is the most addicting thing ever made by the hand of man. I have broken the game disk three times--cleaved the bastard right in half trying to reclaim my life and yet as I type, the game disk is sitting on my desk swinging its legs innocently enough but whispering in an evil hiss: play me, yes precious, play. It has a will of it's own. My great concern surrounds the fact that civ 4, which the makers are actually marketing as lethally addictive, comes out in December. Help me Lord.

The second thing I kind of want to rant about before I drift off to sleep is how ill qualified I am to be a successful middle class American. I looked at over a hundred local jobs this afternoon and I'm not qualified for any of them, well fast food maybe and I'd rather not go there. I love reading and writing, though I'm not sure I can make a living by reading science fiction. I am so willing to start at the bottom. If only the world was like a role playing game where you start out small, perhaps gathering herbs for a master wizard, then you work your way up learning and growing, before you know it your out in the wilderness battling powerful sorcerers as a level 12 mage guild master. I fear that the real world is not at all like the inside of my head. Out there, you don't just have to do piddly little shit for the boss before moving up to bigger things, you have to pretend that the piddly little shit is the most important thing under God's creation and the point of your existence in it. I just want to be Charles Ingels from Little House On The Prarie: work hard and have a ferocious head of hair.

4 comments:

Jessi said...

Aside from reading and writing, what would you like to do? What is your speciality?

I bet you'd be a good teacher of literature.

Matt said...

I like gardening and landscape. I think also I would like to teach though that means two more years of school which I can't afford.

Late night rantings seem far and unimportant on a day like today.

Jessi said...

Some impressive landscaping and gardening can be done in the Northwest. Someday, I'll share with you my idea for an enchanted, winter-blooming garden.

Will you go back for your teaching degree later?

Matt said...

Who knows anything is possible.