Saturday, December 11, 2004

Day Planners

I just took my last final. I am done.

I am sitting here thinking about day planners. I am trying to imagine a circumstance that would require me to use a pocket calendar. My imagination is elastic but not trans-dimensional.

If I did have a pocket calendar this is what I would pencil in for the next three week: water Christmas tree.

Perhaps the most bitter sweet technology on earth is the clock. We continue to divide the moving universe into smaller and smaller and ridicuously smaller chunks. An old time Indian, when asked how long it would take to walk over a hill and down the other side, replied, "as long as it takes a hungry man to eat a large meal."

The clock is sweet because it allows people to meet together with greater precession and accuracy. Bitter because we become slaves to it.

How much is seven dollars and twenty five cents? It is equal to the time it takes a poor man to scrub ten toilet bowls.

A day planner is a book of love letters written to Father Time.

1 comment:

noe said...

nice. i really like to read the things you write. it's like the poetry of everyday life...