Saturday, December 18, 2004

Felis Navidad

How fun it would be to live modestly in a Mexican village surrounded by family and friends. I would take to beach combing and equatorial gardening.

Tonight, for my dad's 52nd birthday, we went out for dinner at my favorite Mexican restaurant. I was talking about Thoreau and overthrowing the government, while my parents were looking at me blankly as if to say, what in heavens name is our idealistic son talking about now. I was rescued by a Mariachi band. Six of the roughest old jolly men I have ever seen, came to our table with violins, basses, and guitars in hand. My mom brightened up, "Will you play felis navidad?" The men huddled to work out their play, and then busted into the most festive and happy rendition of any song I have ever heard. Felis Navidad, Felis Navidad... "Everybody now"... And the restaurant goers broke into song... I want to wish you a merry Christmas, I want to wish you a merry Christmas, I want to wish you a merry Christmas from the bottom of my heart! My dad was singing loudly and my mom was dancing in her seat. The old woman across the way was singing with her grand daughter--it was absolutely blissful.


2 comments:

Arc said...

Mexicans know how to throw a party (Y)
<:-P
Feliz Navidad!
Y Prospero año nuevo.

Michael said...

That is one of the only real Christmas songs I DO like.