Monday, May 09, 2005

Cigarette Update

Three months ago, I looked down and noticed I was developing a gut. A gut, on a otherwise thin man, is scary and cartoonish. I thought, this isn't good at all being a pale, lanking, cartoon tub of ass. So, with cigarette in hand, I went down to join the YMCA, the least threatening gym available as far as buff guys strutting around in striped spandex goes. So I worked out, started to feel good. After the gym I'd come home and have my after gym smoke. Well I quickly realized that smoking and working out don't mix--that it just made running harder. It is amazing the things you start to notice about your body when you actually use it. So I quit smoking. That was almost, what, two months ago. But I still liked my pasta and Mickey D's. I'd ussually go to Mc's for lunch and then try to burn the poison off later on the treadmill. Again--I realized working out and eating Mc's is a contradiction. So I cut out all junk food. Wadaya-know? Two weeks of that and the gut was gone. I could walk up a hill with out a desire to die. I was feeling better!

I heard a guy on the radio the other night that took it even further. "Want a psychodelic experience" he asks, "go raw." Hey I would love to trip balls without frying my brain in the process. I'd like to see the big picture in hyper color with out scaring people away with red, glossy eyed stares. This guy, David Wolfe, has eaten nothing but raw fruits and vegatbles for over 10 years. He can't understand how Americans are even alive with the diet we eat. We are so bogged down with processed foods that we have lost the ability to see the world how it really is. Big Macs, cigarettes, Mountain Dew--these things are foging our minds, not to mention making "the man" rich (yes, there is a man). I fasted once for three days. My head was so clear, I felt like I could "break on through to the other side." A true natural trip. What would happen after fasting for 40 days. I'd probably see God.

As an investment yesterday I bought the Juiceman Juicer, you know the machine endorsed by that crazy guy with huge white eye brows. For breakfast I had a tall, double shot of carrot and celery.

It is quite remarkable to me how much better I feel in three months of taking care of myself. No drug companies, no shrinks, no binge shopping sprees. I feel great.

2 comments:

Ms. Johnson said...

It does feel good to take care of yourself, doesn't it? I'm so happy you've continued to stop the smoking! Hooray for Matt :)

Jenny said...

I know about the man. Have you been successful quitting smoking?