Friday, May 13, 2005

Rock Biter

The friendly voice that informs shoppers of deals in the produce section or bakery etc, is getting more intensely friendly. It sounds like she is being held at gun point while being screamed at, “act euphorically happy or die bitch!” The voice has to be louder to compete with the ear tingling trump of Candy Dulfer jazz. I was almost frigtened to death when a voice in the cieling shouted down at me, "Why hello there happy shoppers. This week in our produce department you will find deliciously ripe tomatoes for the miracoulous price of-- 79 cents. I say tomato, you say tomate-o. We are happy, happy, happy."

Stores are to insanely loud to even go in anymore.

We‘re going to have to eat asphalt in the future. There won't be any food that is for sure. Every nano meter of space is being paved over. They are erecting strip malls all over the place. Not really strip malls, there aren't any strips of land left, more like point malls. One lot filled with three tiny buildings the size of my kitchen. Can they fit anything worthwhile in a space like that?

I just don't get it. I just walked through a ghost town of a strip mall yesterday. It had an early nineteen nineties architectural design so I know the thing can't be that old. No business there now--just FOR LEASE signs in the windows and weeds growing through the cracks in the asphalt. Next to that strip mall was a business park with a early nineteen 80's design. The weeds had spread to the door frames in that place.

This new point mall has been under construction for the last couple months. I have been really curious to who was going to move into the cramped space. It's built on a microscopic piece of land that used to be a small field of blackberry bushes. I was blown away when I discovered who would be moving in: A karate dojo, a hair salon, and a fingernail place. Unbelievable. We paved over the last half acre of plant life in the city for a nail salon? Sad thing is this place is going to be a ghost town by next year.

I am continually amazed by modern society.

No comments: