Friday, May 27, 2005

Day Hike

I hiked around near Clayton Beach out on Chuckanut Drive this, a glorious summer day. The temperature hit 80 degrees for the first time all year and not a cloud in the sky. I walked the railroad tracks and then after many miles, vertically through the woods, ended up at Fragrance lake, a quite little lake high in the hills. Western Washington, especially Whatcom and Skagit counties, is the most beautiful place on earth. I really am blessed to live here. To be on the top of a forested hill top and look down on the San Juan Islands...Well it is what I would imagine heaven to be. Uh, but, uh, it rains a lot. Stay away.

Things I saw today on my adventure:

Four old women hiking in the woods. Good for them.

An Eagle. It swooped literally 10 feet over my head and then circled me. I stood still and listened to the wind go through his wings.

A hobo cooking lunch in a barrel. It smelled wonderful.

A yellow finch perched in a tree branch. When I squinted my eyes, he disappeared, blending in. He looked just like a leave lit up with sun. He was a summer bird.

A lizard. A snake. A dead fish on the railroad tracks, dropped there by some picky seagull.

Starfish, Jellyfish, a nation of barnacles.

muscle farmers out on the mud-flats.

I stumbled upon a group of nude sun bathers. Probably ten of ''em, chatting away, getting crispy. Friendly bunch. I kept flawless eye contact while exchanging salutations .

Bigfoot. No not really. But I had my eyes peeled.

No comments: