Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Cleansing My Soul

I was in a wonderful mood today walking around in the sun and whistling. When Andy got home, we went and saw Sin City. I am seriously considering never going to see another movie again-- selling my TV and computer and becoming a monk. We get to the theater a bit early and have to watch "entertainment ignited", 20 minutes of commercials. The lights dim, curtains open, and then twenty minutes of previews. I swear every movie out these days is about serial killers and killer ghosts. I couldn't even watch the previews, they were too dark. I felt my mood slipping into that darkness and when I felt like I couldn't stomach one more murder preview, the main feature started. In the first 3 minutes of the film a woman was shot in the stomach and killed. The next two hours were filled to the absolute brim with violence. And not just violence, but unheard of evil, like raping little girls, beating women, ripping off genitals, cannibalism. I am not kidding it really made me sick.

Sad. When we were eating dinner tonight, I was rambling on about living in pure thought. That if humanity was interfaced with supercomputers all physical prejudices would disappear and we would be free to share in each others day dreams--like the Borg except happier. I had no idea people could be SO dark. I guess I have to reevaluate my entire idea of what humans are. I have always stood for freedom of expression, and artistic freedom, but then again the images in my head usually involve ripe fruit, river rafts, and cello players playing romantic classics high in the branches of swaying elm trees.

This goes back to my post a couple days ago about the magic of language--visual language as well. It has the power to lift the spirit or destroy it. I feel like I paid seven dollars to spar with a powerful dark sorcerer.

2 comments:

Matt said...

sure Elaine... sounds fun.

noe said...

hey matt! can i join you on your trash it all and go be a monk journey? i'm tired of movies, tv, and even my computer addiction, it sure does manage to suck the life right out of us...