Thursday, April 21, 2005

Eurika

There have to be more senses than five. I just can not explain the world through seeing, tasting, hearing, touching, and smelling.

What about a sense of time, how it seems to speed up and slow down? Or internal heat--not the touching sensation that comes from external stimuli but from inside the body. Or getting a vibe from somebody. Eurika moments. Dream states. There have to be countless others. I heard somewhere that the ancients believed in over 20 sensory states. I will have to look that up today.

I walked home through the forest last night after class. Down below me, to the west, past the harbor and beyond, the sun slowly fell in the sky, turning everything a rosy orange color. I was a machine constructed out of organic carbon I-beams, rotors, and pullies, walking through a living painting. My programing told me to feel wonder and record, on an invisible roll of film, all that I percieved. It got me thinking about what I have been taught, that God created everything for man's pleasure, that this world is a gift to us. Walking through those woods with all of my 20 senses lit up, I couldn't help but think that it is the opposite. That God created us as a gift for his creation, that we might be the voice and stewart of creation. That when it is all over, when the universe dies a heat death, somewhere, all of our recodings will be stored in a vast library.

No comments: